Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Stockholm!

Indeed I am in Sweden just outside of Stockholm. I have settled in and had some very good talks with my friend that I am visiting which has been great. She has an American phone line and we talk often when I am home, but in person is so much better than phone. I've had ficka, which is like Swedish tea time, but with coffee. The coffee is so wonderful and strong. I love it!!! I've met some Swedes which has been good. I try not to ask them a million questions, but I secretly want to. :) The weather is great, temperature perfect ( though the Swedes have told me its too cold) and massive amounts of sunshine.

I made my first solo expedition into Stockholm today. I had been down yesterday with my friend, but today I had to navigate the train system that is in a language I am completely unfamiliar with alone. This resulted in my thankfulness that I have lived in Chicago. I can't imagaine having to navigate a foreign train system without the basic understanding of public transportation. For example knowing that the train will display the name of the last stop on the line. Alas I spent the day wandering around Gamla Stan which I think is Swedish for Old Town. On this island, Stockholm consists of a number of islands connected by bridges, is the Royal Palace, a variety of sounvenir shops, and the Nobel Museum. I honestly just spent a lot of time aimlessly wandering and seeing whatever I saw. Wanted to go to the Post Museum, but I didn't plan my time well so another day. After all I do have many more. Glassworks and camping tomorrow!!

No comments: