Saturday, November 28, 2009

Home

This week I spent only my second Thanksgiving in 28 years of life away from my family. This time it was with my new family, the one I gained through marriage. Though my husband's family, now mine too, is amazing it was a significant challenge for me. There is an entire set of expectations and behaviors that a family adheres to that the family doesn't even think about. In fact they are completely unaware of them until an outsider is brought in. I found myself missing my own family and their unspoken expectations much more than I ever expected. Yet a really great thing happened over the four days I was with my new family. They welcomed me with completely open arms. Not only that, but they were completely gracious during all of those awkward getting to know you moments. They were patient with me and it never seemed to occur to them to treat me as an outsider. I left thankful for my new family and more thankful for my own family than I have ever been. On returning home I realized something else. For the four months we've been married we've been working hard to make this apartment our home. Being in it everyday and dreaming about where I want it to be fooled me into thinking we had made little progress. When seen from a distance and returned to with a great deal of anticipation, I realized how much we have made this place home. I love being home.

No comments: